For more information see: http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/assets/0000/3210/Story_sack_guide.pdf
• Motivate and excite children about reading
• Encourage active participation in reading
• Encourage a desire to share books together, read aloud and listen to stories
• Give parents and care givers confidence to share stories
• Give parents and care givers an easy and enjoyable way to engage children in literacy
• Provide FUN and enjoyment
I love using story sacks with the families and giving them ideas on how they can put one together really easily and cost effectively.
Here's one I made a long time ago now and it has been mentioned here before. This one is based on the 'Very Hungry Caterpillar', one of my all time favourite books. I wanted to make one that was quite tactile for the children. However remember you don't have to be able to sew to make items to pit into a home made story sack!
Here are some ideas from some fabulous sites....