The imagination tree in particular has some fantastic ideas. Pop on over to have a look: http://theimaginationtree.com/2012/05/freezing-and-melting-objects-in-ice.html
I thought i would have a go at making an ice block myself filled with interesting items to discover and talk about. Lots of opportunities for:
- Discovering - the properties of water turning to ice and then melting (liquid, solid, liquid)
- Problem solving
- Lots of opportunities for language development
- Container for the ice block to be made. I used an old ice cream container
- Jug of water
- Selection of interesting items that both sink and float to make sure that the ice block isn't one sided
- Glitter to add a bit of sparkle (optional)
- Food colouring - optional (I only used glitter)
Once you have added your items and the water pop in the freezer.
* Children should be supervised at all times as young children could choke on the ice if left unsupervised.